Contest entries
This was my second attempt at the little critter.  Did not fill the frame  but instead concentrated on sharpness of the image.
By Patricia Sinclair
posted 11:48 CST Today (within the last hour)
Another shot from the shore dive with Nina Baxa.  She pointed this out  not much bigger than a pea  so I tried with my 60mm lens  no diopter  to fill the frame with the critter  so I could see what it was.
By Patricia Sinclair
posted 11:45 CST Today (within the last hour)
 Abandoned Ship  
EX USS Kittiwake Grand Cayman
By Chase Darnell
posted 11:45 CST Today (within the last hour)
 Schools Out  

Minimal Silverside action this year  keeping the hopes high for and explosive summer for 2015
By Chase Darnell
posted 11:41 CST Today (within the last hour)
While doing a shore dive with Nina Baxa  she pointed out this little beauty to me.
By Patricia Sinclair
posted 11:38 CST Today (within the last hour)
D800  17 mm tokina lens  f10  100 iso  1/200
By Ledean Paden
posted 10:49 CST Today (1 hour ago)

Photo Dive Sites
dive sites latestDhahab
Egypt, Red Sea
dive sites latestChannel between P...
Portugal, Atlantic
dive sites latestWreck if Togo
France, Mediterranean Sea
dive sites latestCave Lucice, Brac
Croatia, Adriatic Sea
dive sites latestWreck of the subm...
dive sites latestUSS Schurz
United States, Atlantic (North American coastal)
dive sites latestDahab's canyon
Egypt, Red Sea
dive sites latestLa Gabinière
dive sites latestSeraya Secret
Indonesia, Bali Sea
dive sites latestarborek
Indonesia, Halmahera Sea

infoYou are not logged so will not be able to make forum posts until you login or open a member account
  Really Simple Syndication  
Underwater Photo Contest Entry

Taken by: Bernard Maglana

Babusanta, Talikud Island, Davao City...
Babusanta, Talikud Island, Davao City... by Bernard Maglana
VOTES: 13
VOTE!

forum thread for this image
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009- (5/25/2009 1:11:00 AM)
Category: Macro - Close-Up
Question this message is importantGreat job on this pic Bernard ...I'm interested in diving Davao city but had reservations about traveling there. I enjoy Philippines and diving Anilao, PG, Bohol, Dumaguette and would like to return next year for other dive sites. Can you recommend dive center and hotel .. I have a non-diving wife who enjoys the beach or a pool.

Larry

Larry
10318 point member
Larry member image

message Tnxs Larry. You had been to some great and more popular dive sites in the Philippines but its very nice to hear that your interested to explore further since philippines has indeed still a lot to offer! Davao would be a great place to start because of its more develop diving industry and safety - its very safe here contrary to usual impression. You can ask Jeff since he had visited the place several times. Diving is great, specially macro. Culture is great and people are very hospitable. We can also visit the nearby Gensan for some world class wall diving. You start checking Marco Polo Davao, Pearl farm Resort, Waterfront Hotel. I will be glad to be your host in the event you decide to come. You can also check Malapascua in Cebu, they also offer great diving. If you want more adventure try checking Sogod Bay Diving in Leyte, its very safe but a little bit lack of infrastructure, but certainly not the diving!Keep in touch! Hope to se you soon, maybe learn more tricks to improve my craf

Samal Spotter
6403 point member
Samal Spotter member image

message The go to person at Davao is Carlos Munda. He is a technical diving instructor and a top u/w photographer who knows all the secret dive sites of Davao.

c_munda @ yahoo.com

It only takes several minutes to get from the Airport to the Pier. Speedboats are also available from Wind and Wave Dive Center.

2 options are available:

1. Stay at the Marco Polo - land base diving - dive all day and at night enjoy the night life Davao has to offer.

2. Stay at Pearl Farm - extremely expensive -

Jeff Chua De Guzman
member image

Answer Thxs Jeff...not sure what went wrong on our last communication, I have dropped off Facebook, you can reach me by my email address.

Larry

Larry
10318 point member
Larry member image

message Larry

Just contact Carlos Munda via email - he is helpful and very knowledgeable. He knows where to find 5 species of Frogfish at one dive site.

Davao also has a huge international airport - the city is very safe - it was named one of the safest cities in Asia before. The major has a reputation of kill all the criminals.

The food is also fantastic and very cheap.

If Carlos offers you to drink Durian coffee - RUN AWAY!!!

Patty can enjoy being pampered at the Marco Polo Hotel at Davao City while you go off diving.

Carlos is perhaps the best dive guide in Davao. He is very wealthy but enjoys diving and showing people around.

Jeff Chua De Guzman
member image

message thxs Jeff...I'll contact Carlos when we look into 2010 dive plans...heard from Mike Bartick today, sounds like his Anilao trip was fantastic, a couple juvy rhinos deep at a new dive site

Larry
10318 point member
Larry member image